Sunday, July 8, 2007

2 Weeks To Go...

Well, the last couple weeks have been a blur and the next two promise to move even faster. On top of training for the upcoming tour, I have been working two jobs in order to pay my bills while I'm gone.

Mostly this just adds up to working at one of my two jobs every day, but about 3 days a week I work the dreaded double and still try to fit in training. It's amazing how much you can fit into a day when you have the idea of 3 weeks of rugby in New Zealand as a motivator. So I wake up at 5am, and do the running portion of the workout, go to Harry's cafe slingin' hash from 7am-3pm, return to the lovely Ocean Beach Hotel until 11:30pm, when I leave to work out my frustration in the gym until about 1am (if the day requires a lifting workout). Thankfully, my doubles don't happen in a row, so it's doable because I usually only work 8 hours the following day. And when I have normal days, life is pretty good, especially since our training program rocks (especially Speed +, ; ) ) and I get to practice 7s with the Surfers every now and then.

Because this schedule seems a little insane, it actually got me thinking of what my teammates were doing to raise the money for the trip or what ruggers have done in the past to come up with the dough to go on tour. If you have any interesting tidbits, feel free to leave a comment. I love that so many people sacrifice so much for the sport they love...what awesome people!!!

It actually just hit me today that I have two weeks to get my stuff together and leave San Diego for winter in the Southern Hemisphere. My stepsister actually lives in Christchurch and said it was going to be pretty chilly there around this time, so I guess I'll have to pack more than my San Diego wardrobe has to offer. A shopping trip is in order in the next week for sure. I'll let you know how that goes.

As far as the tour goes, I have received a lot of positive feedback from donors, friends, and regulars over at Harry's Coffee Shop about women's rugby. Actually, I have one customer (an 85-year old woman at that) who said she wished they had rugby when she was in school. Ha! I love it! I'll send her message on to the team here...she said "You girls give 'em hell".

That's all for now, and if anyone would like to donate to our team, just click on the USA rugby link and go to "Support USA Rugby" under Women-U23.

Thank you so much to the donors as of 7/8/07:

Aimee Keitz
"Bear"
Erin Ceithaml

PS: Thanks for the shout outs from Saturday's a Rugby Day, A Ride on the K-Train, and the Scrumhalf Connection! Check out their sites for info about the new Territorial Union season and Midwest/Marfu/West happenings...

No comments: